texture pop in while gaming at 4k-4k newbie

• I recently purchased a Philips 40' 4k monitor for my gaming rig, and so far i've been totally blown away. I unfortunately had to return it last week due to terrible screen uniformity issues and i'll be receiving my new one on Monday, but i'm getting off topic here.

I was in awe at how amazing Star Wars Battlefront looked on this screen. I couldn't take my eyes off it, but textures were constantly popping up and it really started to annoy me. I assumed that these graphical bugs were the fault of EA and Dice, until I hooked my computer up to my Samsung 1080p tv while waiting for my new monitor.

At ultra settings on a 1080p tv, I noticed almost none of the texture pop up I did while playing at 4k, high settings with ambient occlusion turned off. Is all this texture pop in at 4k due to the amount of power it takes to properly run a game at 4k? Are my settings at 4k too high? Is there another explanation I'm not considering?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me nuts!

Thanks

My rig
    gtx 980 ti 6gb
    corsair 32 gb ddr3 ram
    i7 4790k 4 ghz cpu

• Hello Jonsac3025, Now, im not any sort of gaming pro and our reviews of GPUs haven't yet been our main focus, and less so in a wider gaming rig setup. However, some advice that might help you out.

For starters, while 4K on high or ultra may be the coolest, why not try your 4K game at lower settings, maybe medium instead of high. See if this works and also play with settings on a segment basis. Thus, reduce the shadow settings and keep in mind a sort of "less is more" motto in which you get more overall game enjoyment even if some specific settings are sacrificed slightly.

For some games at least, as far as I know, settings can be changed for different visual aspects and for example, even things like texture settings can go from ultra to very high or high, or possibly even lower with effectively no loss in humanly visible quality. Another suggestion might be to reduce or shut off sharpening.

Additionally, bear in mind that while your rig does sound very good, 4K graphics create a heavy burden even on the best GPUs and the 980 ti isn't perfect, just among the best currently on the market. Thus, with the above recommendations, you might lower its burden enough and see your texture pop problem go away without feeling like you've been let down by your gaming rig or the card as far as 4K is concerned. My apologies for such a delayed answer, we've been a bit busy here but please feel free to give me a response with any new information on how things turned out.

• )Thanks for your reply. Before reading your response I did lower the graphics settings after reading some 4K benchmarks with my
    graphic card, which was averaging around 54fps on high settings with ao turned off.

I changed all the graphical presets to medium and turned ao and fxaa off. The amount of pop in dropped a modest amount, but still has enough to drive me crazy. Sure, I can put all the presets to low and lesson the problem, but it irks me to have to put settings on low after getting a 980 ti and a very solid cpu.

I'm considering going sli with another 980 ti as a last irresponsible gift to myself before my wedding in June. Would that do the trick in your opinion?

Thanks again

• Hey there again Jonasac, If you're managing 54fps on high settings with your single 980 Ti, that's actually pretty good, though it depends on the type of game you're playing at those frame rates. That said, I can sympathize with it being annoying to consider putting settings on low in an effort to avoid texture pop, especially with such a high end and rather pricey card.

As for your final question, if the texture pop is a direct result of the GPU having trouble processing 4K graphics, and al the other suggestions I made and your own efforts didn't work then a second 980 Ti is definitely worth a try if it's what you'd like to buy anyhow. It will also likely do the trick here.

Also bear in mind that instead of a second GPU, you might want to consider getting a 4K monitor with G-Sync. If you're already managing decent frame rates, the addition of G-Sync in your monitor, along with your Nvidia card might go a long way towards smoothing things out on graphics.